Happy autumn, friends!
Imagine: you curled up on the couch with a blanket, rain drizzling down foggy windows, and in your hands you hold a bowl of this soup.
Oh man. We’re talking cheesy, rich, and creamy. Roasting the corn gives it a little more depth than traditional comfort food, yet the cheddar cheese and powdered mustard will send you back in time to mom’s kitchen. Not to mention, it is jam packed with tender bites of potato, carrot, and corn.
All your hopes and dreams can be translated into a bowl of this chowder. So make it. bask in its delicious golden glory. You won’t regret it, pinky swear.
Roasted Corn and Cheddar Chowder
2 cans of corn
¼ cup butter
1 onion, diced
½ cup flour
4 cups chicken stock
3 large carrots, diced
4 large potatoes, diced
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp powdered mustard
4 cups milk
3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup parmesan, shredded
Salt and pepper to taste
- Drain water from both cans of corn and put into a pan on medium high heat. Let it sit until any remaining water has evaporated and the corn has some color. Take off heat and set aside
- In a large pot, sauté the onion in the butter.
- Take off the heat and add in flour.
- Slowly stir in chicken stock and bring to a boil until thickened.
- Add in veggies (including corn) and spices.
- Reduce to medium-low heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once veggies are tender, take off the heat and stir in milk.
- As long as the soup is hot enough you can also stir in the cheese. If it’s not, you can put it back on the heat until it can melt the cheese.
- Add salt and pepper to preference.